Table of Contents
Dietary and Caloric Recommendations
Wellness When Pregnant, About 300 extra calories remain needed each day to maintain a healthy pregnancy. These calories should come from a regular protein, fruit, and vegetable diet. And also whole grains. In addition, sweets and fats should remain kept to a minimum. A healthy, well-balanced diet can also help reduce pregnancy symptoms, such as nausea and constipation.
Fluid Intake During Pregnancy
Fluid intake is also an essential part of nutrition during pregnancy. Follow these references for fluid intake during pregnancy: You can get enough fluids by drinking several glasses daily and fluids in juices and soups. Also, talk to your healthcare provider or midwife about restricting your intake of caffeine and artificial sweeteners.
- Avoid all forms of alcohol.
- Ideal foods to eat during pregnancy
- She is eating safely during the pregnancy infographic. Click to see.
The Following Foods Are Beneficial For Fetal Health And Growth During Pregnancy:
Vegetables: incentives, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, spinach, cooked greens, tomatoes. And also sweet red peppers (for vitamin A and potassium)
Fruits: cantaloupe, honeydew melon, mangoes, prunes, bananas, apricots, oranges, and red or pink grapefruit (for potassium)
- Dairy: fat-free or low-fat yogurt, 1% or skim milk, soy milk for calcium, potassium, vitamins A and D
- Grains: ready-to-eat cereals, cooked cereals for iron and folic acid
- Proteins: beans and peas; Nuts and seeds. Lean beef, lamb, and pork. salmon, trout, herring, sardines, and haddock
- Foods to avoid during pregnancy
Avoid Eating The Following Foods During Pregnancy:
Raw milk and nourishments made with raw milk (soft cheeses, including feta, queso Blanco, queso fresco, Camembert, brie, or blue-vein cheeses, unless labeled [made with pasteurized milk] Hot dogs and cold cuts (unless heated until steaming hot before serving
Raw and undercooked seafood, eggs, and meat. Don’t eat raw fish made with raw fish. Cooked sushi remains safe.
- Chilled pate and meat pasta
- Chilled Smoked Seafood
- Guidelines for secure food handling
Follow These General Food Safety Rules When Handling And Cooking Food:
- Rinse all raw produce thoroughly with tap water before eating, cutting, or cooking.
- Wash your hands, knives, countertops, and cutting boards after handling and preparing raw food.
- Cook meat, pork, or poultry to a safe internal temperature verified by a food thermometer.
- Quickly refrigerate all perishable foods.
- Prenatal vitamin and mineral supplements
Most healthcare providers or midwives will prescribe a prenatal supplement before or shortly after conception to ensure all of your nutritional needs remain met. However, a prenatal supplement is not a substitute for a healthy diet.
The Importance Of Folic Acid
The US Public Health Service recommends that all women of childbearing age consume 400 micrograms (0.4 mg) of folic acid daily. Folic acid is a nutrient found in:
- Some green leafy vegetables
- Most berries, nuts, beans, citrus fruits, and fortified breakfast cereals
- Some vitamin supplements.
Folic acid may assistance reduce the risk of neural tube defects and congenital disabilities of the brain and spinal cord. Neural tube defects can cause paralysis, incontinence, and sometimes intellectual disability.
Folic acid remains most helpful during the first 28 days after conception, when most neural tube defects occur. Unfortunately, you may not realize you’re pregnant before 28 days. Therefore, your folic acid intake should start before conception and continue throughout your pregnancy. Your healthcare provider or midwife will endorse the right amount of folic acid to meet your individual needs.
For example, women taking antiepileptic drugs may need higher doses of folic acid to prevent neural tube defects. They should consult with their health care provider when considering trying to conceive.
It is generally agreed that wellbeing includes, at the minimum, the following three factors: 1) Frequent positive emotions, mood, and feelings. 2) Satisfaction with life, fulfillment and positive functioning. 3) The absence of stress and mental health illness and infrequent negative emotions.